The Botswana Stock Exchange Limited (BSEL) is Botswana’s sole stock exchange given the responsibility to operate and regulate the securities market in Botswana. The modern day BSEL traces its origins to the informal Botswana Share Market (BSM) that was established in 1989. Back then there was only one stock broker (Stockbrokers Botswana) and it created the market by matching orders from the public on the shares of the then five (5) listed companies. The buoyancy of Botswana’s economy led to more companies and more stock brokers coming to the market and ultimately the creation of Botswana Stock Exchange (BSE) in 1994 through an Act of Parliament, the BSE Act
Following the passing of the BSE Act in 1994, BSE opened for trading in 1995. The exchange was owned by its members (stock brokers), through ownership of Proprietary Rights, and the Government of Botswana. Historically, Government and brokers have played a meaningful role of developing various facets of the market as a whole. BSE’s demutualization process commenced on the 1st of December 2015. That is, the conversion from a member owned, not-for-profit, entity to a for-profit public company limited by shares under the Companies Act. Ultimately, BSE was demutualized on the 2nd of August 2018 to become the Botswana Stock Exchange Limited (BSEL).
The BSEL is regulated by the Non-Bank Financial Institutions Regulatory Authority (NBFIRA) and is governed by two (2) pieces of legislations. These are the Companies Act and the Securities Act.
To drive sustainable economic growth by providing a gateway for raising capital and accessing investment opportunities.
To be a world class securities exchange delivering innovative products and services.
- Innovation – We are committed to continually re-inventing products and services by adopting the best technology and practices,
- Integrity – We are professional and accountable for our actions, and uphold the highest ethical conduct in our execution and adhere to the highest standards of corporate governance.
- Sustainability – We will employ business methods that adhere to the proper use of financial and human resources as well as the environment we operate in.
- Efficiency – We endeavor to accomplish more with the available resources and time.
- Commercial Focus – We are geared towards revenue maximization for the company and stakeholders.
- Teamwork – We are collaborative with internal and external stakeholders to ensure excellent returns and delivery.